Friday, May 7, 2010

HOBO MARKETING

Hobo Pictures, Images and Photos




“Hobo” Marketing

by CHICKMELIONfreelance


“Hobo” Marketing



There is a trend in marketing which may come as a surprise to a few. As cited by Trend Hunter Magazine (.com) It is the return of the “vagabond.” Now when you think about “hobos” your mind wanders to a time of the great depression where many people who lost homes and jobs traveled from place to place in search of that next meal... and Lord be willing ...a home. In researching the culture of “hoboism” it is interesting to note that the term goes a little further back than that; more to the civil war era of the mid 19th century. That’s where it’s roots spawn from. Men trying to wind their way back home in a desperate and nightmarish time in history. Either way the concept of “hoboism” creeps in as a spokesperson in times of belt tightening, losses and hardships. Not withstanding our own current slow crawl out of the global credit crisis, it is not a long stretch to imagine our own culture identifying and romanticizing our hobos of past. They were, as we are now forced to be...survivors.

And that is the heart of the marketing concept that is currently gravitating around “hoboism.” Yes, it is an actual marketable movement where even the fashion industry is climbing onboard designing and marketing “haute-couture” fashions as “Hobo-Chic.” Hey why not! In an industry which is expected to crank out innovative looks on an annual basis, it only stands to reason that the never before looked at possibilities of the vagabond lifestyle present themselves as fresh new avenues to exploit. Attitudes are changing! We over used our credit cards to look above our means. We paid a hefty price for it and now that we are all in the same cash crunching boat, it presents it’s self as a similar sense of comradery as our hobo heros once had.

It goes a little deeper than that too! With a global crisis looming and forewarned shortages of many necessary luxuries such as food, water, oil, electricity, (only to mention a few) we are learning to cut back. We are now very familiar with the term “green living” and even expectant of perhaps taking it to a whole new level in 2012, as doom sayers predict an all out global crisis or pandemic. Our cars are getting smaller, our vacations more closer to home....our products are suspiciously shrinking in size because the marketplace just can’t tolerate the price hikes any longer... and there is a quiet acceptance to this... we all have been familiarized with belt tightening and can empathize better with this movement. Now that we are eyeball deep in it ourselves.

Activism is also a key trigger that aids this movement. With an ever growing homeless and addiction problems, some very tragic and large scale natural disasters, and a few large scale environmental tragedies, people are getting ever loud about the direction and choices our culture calls for. Fearing our destiny, many social activists are taking very candid shots and using a medium no other generation had access before to get their point accross... the internet. We are on a daily basis reminded of humane frailty and the frailty that our own comforts offer. How it can all be gone in one moment. Yes we are all faced with the concept of “what if....” and trying to visualize ourselves surviving. Survival gear, survival kits... even businesses and governments and are faced with the ever importance of setting in place current continuity plans, just in case. It is safe then to say that this mind set is going to be around for quite some time. In light of that, it may well be something you as a marketer will want to consider when putting your voice out there in the marketplace in hopes of calling to and attracting your target market. A more human approach seems to be a key concept. Social media has blossomed because it understood and monopolized on it’s ability to offers a human voice to both marketer and market and I don't see much glitz and glam going down there either.

So what are the implications of “hobo” marketing? I think the key words are: down played, laid back, minimalist, free, care free, conscious, organic, comfortable and down sized. You know there was a code of ethics that the hobos of the past followed. It allowed for their survival in the harshest of conditions. it might well serve a purpose here to retell a few of them to you, so you can fully grasp the heart and soul of the movement ....( from wikipedia:)

.
Don't take advantage of someone who is in a vulnerable situation, locals or other hobos.

Always try to find work, even if temporary, and always seek out jobs nobody wants.

By doing so you not only help a business along, but ensure employment should you return to that town again.

When no employment is available, make your own work by using your added talents at crafts.

Always respect nature, do not leave garbage where you are jungling.

If in a community jungle, always pitch in and help.

When traveling, ride your train respectfully, take no personal chances, cause no problems with the operating crew or host railroad, act like an extra crew member.

Help all runaway children, and try to induce them to return home.

Help your fellow hobos whenever and wherever needed, you may need their help someday.

If present at a hobo court and you have testimony, give it. Whether for or against the accused, your voice counts!


Goodness seems to be the prevalent message. in order to survive be good because in tight situations it becomes “we need to be able to live and work together” in order to make it through. Man, not much has changed has it? We are still struggling to attain success with the same pursuits, and far from crawling out of our economic woes, the hobo mindset will prevail as people look to the past in answering for an uncertain and expectedly difficult future. So it really isn’t too difficult as marketers to gear our messages towards a more compassionate and comradery oriented voice. It is after all the signs of times and we all know as marketers, to be effective in hitting our audience we best read the signs.

WHEN I LEARN TO FLY


When I Learn To Fly...
I am a well crafted, amply blessed, lovingly painted, hand molded soul.
Made by ONE... as a unique entity in a universe of unique entities.
For the time being I am apprenticing in the safety of a molecular body,
( I look at it as protective gear for a game called life.)
I am charged with for the most part positive energy,
which I learn to regenerate from both heaven and earth.
Thus I learn to honor Father and Mother.
I am a replica of the universe.
I demonstrate to myself and to those who look at me,
the unity and balance that we all are.
Many in one... and one in many.
Working in conjunction yet as individuals; ever moving, ever evolving, ever changing, ever growing and ever seeking universal balance.
I am learning to be in this fluidity without being a harm.
Kicking at the "Oneness" .
Causing it to be off balance by my choices.
I learn the universal rule, "seek balance as a singular entity".
I learn not to be a free-radical that threatens.
I learn there is nothing new under the sun,
all is cyclical, for us all to learn.
I am taught that as bacteria threatens a molecular body, (as my eyes behold)....
my choices threaten the heavenly body, (as my spiritual eye beholds.)
I am as you are... and as all children born are;
proof that our creator has not lost faith in us.
Has not given up on mankind.
That all is not for nothing.
I am freedom of choice.
I am learning by freedom of choice.
I am free to build or destroy.
I am free to in a molecular state see the consequences of these choices.
Feel the consequences.
This choice is not infringed upon by He who crafted me.
It is His tool, as a wise parent, which allows me to taste, test, and see the integrity of positive by knowing negative.
For how then can I know the fullness of joy unless I have something to measure it with?
How then can I appreciate my soul unless it is bound by my molecular shroud?
By the wisdom of ONE, I am ever growing to a point where I will no longer need my shroud of a body to protect me.
I will have learned to be a heavenly body....
I will have learned to make my foot print light.

I will have learned to fly.....

I'm Gonna Try Peace

by ,


Gonna lay my head down in the sand,
let the wind blow over my face.
Gonna render my body to the land,
and give it my sweet tears to taste.
Gonna lay my sword down on the soil
I am not going to swing it no more,
I have nothing to show for all the toil,
been stalemated , “settling the score.”
Gonna put my hands behind my back,
and let the will of heaven flow,
pray for some mercy to put me on track,
and refresh a weary parched soul.
Going to pick up a staff to hold instead,
and try to walk a mile in bare feet.
Gonna listen to what history has said
and pound my drum to a different beat.
Hold words in my mouth of a different plan,
and learn a whole different speech.
Gonna hold them to action as best as I can…
this time I gonna try PEACE!

There is a claim that miracles
are the fancy of imaginations;
and indeed they will be
if you are not open to receive them.
If you hold no faith,
if you do not use your eyes to see them,
if your definition is to tightly wrapped.
All these blocking the vital energy
that all miracles flow on.

You can not see
if you do not look!.
No one will hear you
if you do not speak.
Indeed you will not be tested ,
if you do not stand up for something,
but again....
you will never need a miracle either!
Nor will you experience the euphoria
of being blessed by one ,
unless you put yourself out there in faith,
standing firm in your convictions.

Life is a miracle in it's self,
and you would be squandering your life
unless you put yourself out there as well

by CMD